Wayne McDonald
July 30, 2010

Born Wayne Robinson McDonald in Espanola, Ontario on August 25, 1948 and died of cancer on July 30, 2010, in Goderich, Ontario.

Wayne worked at CKSO-TV Sudbury, Ontario; CKCO-TV Kitchener, Ontario; VTR CITV-TV Edmonton 1974-94; Vice President Operation WIC Premium Television Edmonton 1994-2000. He retired to Goderich, Ontario in 2000.

Edmonton Broadcasters Club

We cannot judge a biography by its length but only by the richness of its contents. For two years Wayne battled cancer. He now is at peace.

A warm thanks to a caring Dr. Stan Spacek, first floor nursing and support staff at the Goderich Hospital.

Wayne is survived by his loving wife and soul mate Cheryl. We had an instant connection meeting in Tahiti (1976) and marrying in 1982. Wayne is predeceased by father Wilf (mother Muriel) surviving family members are: brother Denson (Elizabeth) Sarnia, ON., brother-in-law Dennis Barnes Winnipeg, MB., in-laws “Father Bear” Ray Barnes (“Mother Bear” Jean) Goderich, ON.

Wayne wanted to be a radio sportscaster. Sometimes he did his routine for me and we always ended up roaring with laughter. He was really, really, bad! He worked at TV stations in Sudbury and Kitchener honing his skills. These “talents” were put to use in Kitchener when a Mr. Music Man on Romper Room was needed… guess who! We were in stitches around the campfire hearing the stories. Some, of course, cannot be told here!

Wayne headed west to Edmonton in 1975. The Allard family started up ITV and became very successful. From 1994 – 2000 he became the V.P. of operations for WIC Premium Television. We loved to travel to such places as the Orient Palm Springs and winter vacations in Maui… The man loved his sports: baseball, football, golf and hockey were his interests… he pitched for the ITV fastball team called (wait for it) the “Lemmings! “Practices” and bbqs at George’s home were legendary and yes, a good time was had by all!

After retiring, winters were spent in Florida with golf and good friends.. he loved gardening and daily five mile walks.

Wayne was accepted to the London University Hospital Donation Program. His ashes will go to Battle Lake, outside of Edmonton. The cry of the loons, gorgeous sunsets and good friends on shore will comfort him. Warm thanks to caring friends and family who brought us comfort.

To my darling husband Wayne, during 27 years of marriage, you were always honest, strong, full of humour and you took care of me. Our laughter got us through tough spots, but most of all you loved me unconditionally, flaws and all.

Till we meet again my love. I miss you.